Just a short but very practical tip for the pike fishermen among us. Forget the swivel and use the FG knot instead to tie your fluo carbon hooklink to the braided mainline. I list the benefits for you:
- The FG knot is much more refined than a swivel and is, therefore, less noticeable.
- Because the FG node is smaller, debris is also less likely to get stuck behind. A clean line results in more bites, so more fish.
- The FG button does not suffer from fatigue and is therefore more reliable.
- The FG button fits through your top eye and therefore all your other eyes. This is a great advantage, especially if you want to fish with (very) long hooklinks (or guides).
- The FG knot won’t damage your tip eye if you accidentally turn too far in. A swivel, on the other hand, can demolish your top eye in one go.
- The FG knot is free.